This recipe was something I just threw together the other night, but it turned out so good that I had to share! It is super easy, delicious, and perfect for the cooler fall weather...
1 lb ground turkey
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups broth (can be beef, chicken, or vegetable)
1-2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
Spice mix (below)
Cheese, sour cream, and/or tortilla chips for garnish (optional)
Spice mix: Blend together the following:
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
I also added a few drops of my favorite hot sauce to this mix.
1) In a large pot, brown the ground turkey over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain and return to pot.
2) Add green pepper and onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
3) Add the 2 cups broth and spice mix and stir to combine. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
4) Stir in the tomato and black beans. Allow the mixture to simmer for 45 min to 1 hour so the flavors can combine (if you're in a rush, 20 minutes will do just fine for everything to heat and cook).
5) Serve with your choice of garnish and enjoy!
See? Super easy. The smoked paprika and other spices add an awesome flavor to this dish!