Hello again! It's been almost two weeks since I last posted... between orders in my shop and extra hours at work, I just haven't had the time! I'm back today with a recipe for the canines in your life. This dog treat recipe is perfect for this time of year -- puppy pumpkin pies! These are yummy and healthy for your dog, as pumpkin helps to regulate digestion. Read on below for how easy these are to make...
INGREDIENTS & SUPPLIES:
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour (IMPORTANT: Do not substitute wheat flour for either of these. Dogs are often very sensitive or even allergic to the gluten in wheat.)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Nonstick muffin tin
By the time I get these ingredients out, my dogs are usually already waiting patiently on the kitchen floor :)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir all ingredients together until thoroughly combined. You should have a dough that is light, fluffy, and sticky.
- Divide dough between 9-12 muffin cups. Press dough into each muffin cup with your fingers.
- With a fork, make cross hatch marks on each mini pie. (This is just to look like the cross hatching on a pie -- if you want to skip this step you can!)
- Bake your mini pies for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. They will not rise at all while baking.
- Remove pies from muffin tin and let cool on a wire rack.
These are soft treats, so they can easily be broken into small pieces to give to your dog. I usually break them into four smaller pieces for my pups, since I don't want to over-treat them! :)
Hope you and your dogs enjoy this recipe!